Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Sniffing Out Good Stuff!

While I dig up this week's blog post, please enjoy the following articles of interest. I sure did! Two thumbs and four paws up, way up for Dr. Sophia Yin, who contributed the following two gems:

Seven Tips for Preventing Dog Bites in Animal Care Professionals and Dog Lovers

and

Experts Say Dominance-Based Training Techniques Made Popular By Television Shows Can Contribute to Dog Bites

I also found this one: Dogs Are Aggressive If They Are Trained Badly, which at first glance, seemed like it would be in-line with my beliefs, but sadly, it goes on to say that many behavior problems in dogs are caused by owners failing to establish dominance over their dogs or use physical punishment when necessary.

Dominance. *sigh* There's that word again. I'll blog more about that soon. I swear.

Fortunately, not long after reading the disappointing training article on the Spanish study, I received a press release from the Association of Pet Dog Trainers regarding National Dog Bite Prevention Week (May 17-23):

Training Dogs with Positive Methods Can Decrease Dog Bites.

Ahhh. Much more my style!

Knowledge is power. Happy reading... and happy training... so keep your training happy!

© Contents from this blog may not be displayed or reproduced without express written permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment